What To Do About Broken Roof Shingles
Category : Roof Maintenance
Noticing broken or damaged shingles on your roof can be alarming – broken shingles can be a sign that your roof is degrading or aging and needs to be repaired or replaced. Thankfully, as long as you catch it early enough, it’s likely that you’ll be able to get it fixed in time with no permanent damage to your roof. But what to do about broken roof shingles once you’ve spotted them? Read on.
Signs That You Have Damaged Shingles On Your Roof
It’s not always obvious when the shingles on your roof are damaged, but there are some signs that you need to look out for to know if your shingles are broken or damaged. Keep a lookout for these signs of shingle damage:
- Missing Shingles: Missing shingles can be a serious problem. Missing shingles can cause water to leak and can affect the structural integrity of your roof. If there are enough missing shingles on your roof to be noticeable, call a roofing contractor right away.
- Cracked Shingles: Cracking is an obvious sign of damage, but it can be hard to notice if you’re not actively looking for it. When inspecting your roof, make sure to check for signs of cracks or splits in your shingles – even if they are minor, they may become a bigger problem in the future.
- Buckling Shingles: When shingles buckle, it causes an almost wave-like look. Buckling shingles are at a high risk of being torn or blown off due to weather, so it’s important to fix them quickly.
- Curling Shingles: Curling shingles often occur due to exposure to heat and age. If you’re noticing that your shingles are beginning to curl, check your records for the last time your roof was installed or replaced – it’s likely time for a roof replacement.
- Missing Granules & Bare Spots: When inspecting your roof, if you see that some of your shingles seem to have bare spots, it likely means that there are missing granules. This means that your shingles are less protected against the elements, which causes them to become brittle.
How Do You Repair Damaged Shingles?
If you notice small damages on your roof, it’s possible to fix it yourself. Issues such as shingles with minor cracking, a few single missing shingles, or shingles that are missing pieces can be DIYed by buying new shingles and replacing the damaged or missing ones. However, roof work can be arduous and even dangerous, so most of the time, it’s best to leave it to the trained professionals. In addition, if you end up making a mistake, it may damage your roof even further and end up costing you more in the long run.
Can You Replace Just a Few Shingles?
It’s possible to replace just a few shingles on your roof as long as the roof itself is in good condition and just needs a couple of minor repairs. However, there can often be underlying issues that are not so easy to see on the surface. If this is the case, replacing shingles here and there is more of a band-aid than a real solution.
Why Are My New Shingles Blowing Off?
If shingles are blowing off your roof because of the weather, that likely means one of two things: either they are old and approaching the end of their lifespan, or they weren’t properly installed and need to be fixed. Either way, it’s probably a good idea to hire a roofing contractor to come to take a look and see what needs to be done.
Additionally, if your roof was just repaired or replaced by a contractor, it could be that the seal strips haven’t properly set yet. This process can take up to a few weeks, and exposure to the sun can affect it as well. If you think this is the case, talk to your contractor to see what can be done.
Worried About Broken Roof Shingles? Call Roofstar Arizona
If you’ve noticed damaged roof shingles on your home, it’s a good idea to call a roofing company. Theoretically, you could fix the damages yourself; but it’s not usually a good idea. Roofing is more complicated than it looks, and thus is best off left to the professionals. Call Roofstar Arizona now at (480)-426-1915 to schedule a roof inspection or repair. We’ll tell you the truth about your roof!