Summer Roof Maintenance for Your Phoenix Roof
Category : Roof Maintenance
It’s no secret that summers in Phoenix are rough – but did you know that they can be hard on your roof, too? Your roof is meant to withstand plenty of sunlight, but in the summer the heat can be excessive, and that can wear down your roof faster. So what summer roof maintenance for your Phoenix roof can you do that will help your roof last longer, stay safer, and save you money?
What Maintenance Should be Done on a Roof?
Roof maintenance can seem daunting, but most of it is actually quite simple. The most important parts of maintenance are assessing the condition of your shingles or tile underlayment; repairing/replacing broken tiles; trimming any overhanging branches; and clearing valleys and gutters of debris. Scheduling a professional roof inspection can also be part of your yearly maintenance – it’s a great way to get ahead of any potential issues that may be cropping up, and much safer than getting up there yourself.
5 Tips for Summer Roof Maintenance
Need some tips for the best ways to keep your roof in tip-top shape this summer? Roofstar Arizona has you covered.
- Keep Your Valleys/Gutters Clear: If you or your neighbor have mature trees, It’s common for valleys and gutters to become clogged up with debris, such as leaves. Theseplay an important role in the health and safety of your roof by collecting rainwater and ensuring it flows away from parts of your roof that could be affected by water buildup. Clogged valleys/gutters could lead to water damage and leaks.
- Check Your Shingles: Shingles are your roof’s first line of defense, so it’s important that they’re in good shape. Using a drone or a trusty ladder, assess your shingles for signs of damage. These signs include missing, cracked, curling, or peeling shingles.
- Trim Overhanging Branches: With summer and the monsoon season, storms and wind can cause branches that touch your roof to cause damage.. If you have trees in your yard that have overhanging branches, make sure to keep them trimmed so they’re not a threat during bad weather, and roof rats and other vermin cannot access your roof.
- Examine the Eaves: Walk all around the perimeter of your home and check out the overhangsto see if there are any signs of water stains or wood rot, which could mean you have a leak somewhere on your roof.
- Look at the Ventilation: Your roof’s ventilation is very important – both for your roof’s health and for your wallet. Check out the vents on your roof and in your attic (if you have one) to make sure everything is in working order.
Best Time for Summer Roof Maintenance
Now that you know how to perform roof maintenance, you may have another question: when’s the best time? Summer is actually a great time to perform maintenance. With the monsoon season starting in June, there’s an increase in storms involving heavy rain and high winds, which can cause damage to your roof. By performing maintenance before these storms start to get rough, you can catch small issues before they turn into big ones. It’s also a good chance to document the condition of your roof in case you need to file an insurance claim after a storm.
Have any more questions about your roof during the summer? Want to schedule a free estimate? Call Roofstar Arizona now at 480-426-1915. We’ll always tell you the truth about your roof!