Clay or Concrete: Know Your Roof Tiles
Category : Roofing
If you’re building a new roof or re-roofing your existing roof, both clay and concrete tiles are a great option. However, you’ll need to know the differences between each of them to make a good decision on which roof is the best for you. Read on to learn about the differences you need to know to make your decision.
Which is Heavier? Clay or Concrete Roof Tiles?
On average, concrete and clay tiles have a similar weight of 10 pounds per square foot, 1000 pounds per 100 square feet.
What Are the Benefits of Using Clay or Concrete Tiles?
Clay and concrete tiles each have their own benefits. Read on to find out what the benefits of each one are:
Benefits of Clay Tiles
- Longevity: Clay tiles can last for hundreds of years.
- Durability: Clay tiles are resistant to fire, rot, and insects.
- Weather Resistance: Clay does not expand or contract depending on the outside temperature. They are extremely resistant to hot and cold temperatures.
- Insulation: The air below clay tiles is able to circulate freely, allowing temperatures to stay regular and maintain indoor temperatures.
Benefits of Concrete Tiles
- Affordable: Concrete tiles tend to be considerably less expensive than other materials.
- Eco-Friendly: Many concrete tiles are made from recycled materials.
- Repairs: Concrete tiles are fairly easy to repair.
- Energy Efficient: Concrete doesn’t easily transfer heat. This means that it will keep your home safe from outdoor temperatures. Your home will stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer, saving you money on your utility bills.
How Long do Clay Roof Tiles Last? How Long do Concrete Roof Tiles Last?
Clay roof tiles can last anywhere from 50 to over 100 years. They’re also very easy to maintain, making them a great option for roofing. Meanwhile, concrete tiles last an average of 50 years.
Are Clay Roof Tiles Expensive?
On average, clay roof tiles cost slightly more than concrete tiles. Clay tiles cost between $10 to $18 per square foot. In total, installing a clay tile roof will cost anywhere from $25,000 to $50,000. On the other hand, a concrete roof costs between $6 to $12 per square foot. An average concrete roof will cost anywhere from $11,5000 to $23,000.
Get A Free Estimate on Your Roofing Project
At Roofstar Arizona, we work with homeowners and builders in the Mesa-Phoenix area to help them with all of their roofing needs. Call us today at (480) 426-1915 to get a free estimate on your roofing project. We’ll tell you the truth about your roof.